Spinach and quail’s egg salad with sweet and sour dressing
Flavour explosion in your mouth
- quail’s eggs 12
- sourdough or ciabatta 2 slices, cubed into 2cm pieces
- olive oil
- salad or baby spinach 160g
- red onion 1 small, sliced into rings
- pancetta 4 slices, chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil 5 tbsp
- garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- caster sugar 1 tbsp
- cider vinegar 3 tbsp
- lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/Gas 6. Simmer the quail’s eggs in boiling water for 21/2 minutes then run under cold water to cool. Spread the croutons onto a baking sheet. Drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil and season. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp, then cool.
- To make the dressing, cook the pancetta without any oil in a small frying pan until crisp then drain on kitchen towel. Add the olive oil and garlic. Cook until lightly golden, then take off the heat and add the sugar, pancetta, vinegar, lemon juice and season. Put back on the heat and whisk together.
- Arrange the spinach leaves in salad bowls. Peel and halve the eggs and add them to the salad along with the onion and croutons. Pour the warm dressing over the top and toss well.